Christian Perales- 2-23-16

Christian Perales
February 23, 2016
Significant Event in my Life
            There have been many events in my life that may be seen as life changing, but you cannot just single out only one event in particular. Each even has played a role in leading to the person I am today. To be even more specific, you must categorize the types of changes that may have come from any event in particular. In short, there is a very broad range of choices and many different paths to be taken when going about answering the question “What the most significant experience, accomplishment, risk you have taken, moral dilemma or personal triumph you have faced and its impact on you”.
            The one of the most life changing experiences, accomplishments, moral dilemmas and personal triumphs I have had all in one, occurred when I was in 6th grade. There are a few parts to it, and it happened over a period of time. As a child, I was never overly fond of going to school, much less doing any of the school work. I had gotten bad grades almost every year leading up to 6th grade.
            When 6th grade came around, there was a change in how classes operated. We had 3 teachers and switched classes in preparation for high school. The three teachers I had, were on top of everyone to do their very best.  My school also got a new principal, and he was very interactive with the students and concerned with the student’s grades. I hadn’t realized their diligence and willingness to help the first few days, although one of the three teachers was intimidating at times.
            When I began to fall back into my old habits, the principal had called me into his office because he wanted to speak to me. When I heard he wanted to have a word with me, my initial reaction was that I was in trouble. He had told me something I still remember today, and it was that I had the potential to do great things, to be a leader and to accomplish any obstacle that came my way if I put my mind to it. He was the first person that actually told me that he saw things in me that I could only imagine. Each of my three junior high teachers had also told me I had great potential after he  spoke to me.
            After I was told those things, I became more confident in myself, and in my grades. When report cards came around, my teacher began passing them out to students and when it got close to my name, she sent me out of the room to do a quick task and I thought nothing of it. When I returned all of my class mates began to clap and cheer, and my teacher told me that I got straight A’s. Ever since then I got straight A’s on every card marking. All that it took was to know that others believed in me and that I had the potential for greatness.

            Every time I tell anyone this story they are shocked because they think that I’d never gotten a bad grade in my life. Now I am always the go to guy for help, and I tutor some friends with work and with concepts they do not get. Entering High school, I was at an advantage because I knew how to overcome challenge and excel in everything I do. Ending my Freshman Year with a 4.0 was an amazing feeling, and getting a 4.0 in my sophomore year let me know that I could do anything I put my mind to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog