Christopher Lara, February 5, 2016


Abnormalities in My Life
                When I went to a meeting with Frank and Sylvia today, I was asked to describe myself. I went with above average because a student with my grades and leadership is above the average student at Detroit Cristo Rey. Frank agreed, but renamed my personality as abnormal. That word didn’t work with me though. I didn’t like the word abnormal because that means that you’re not normal. People would infer that I was weird or unqualified if I was abnormal, which was disappointing to hear; however, Frank did explain to me the true meaning of being abnormal.

                Frank said that I was special, but that word came a long way since he was young. He was also called special, but in a negative way describing uneducated kids. He added to his account that he was abnormal too, but he could do things that even the smarter kids couldn’t do. He was abnormal because he was above average on some agendas, normal on some, and under qualified on others. These distinct traits didn’t hold him down, though, because he now owns a successful business as an entrepreneur. He knows that I’m great academically and in the community, but not so amazing with my health or other parts of my life. I mentioned that I want to go into nursing, but he, along with Sylvia, suggested that I didn’t limit myself. I agreed with them, but I made my own agenda to have at least a few concrete goals I can accomplish. Although I didn’t agree with Frank on his abnormality statement at first, I kept thinking and rethinking about that word to justify why he said that. After reviewing the parts in my life I struggle in, I understand why he said that.

                I talked with Sylvia about the multitude of situations in my life, and she gave me advice on all of them. She informed me about the leadership situation in the National Honor Society and how we can show how this group has made a difference in the school. With my parents and their beliefs, she let me know that I should explain to them or show someone like Jesse my accomplishments so they can be mediated so that the importance of my work was shown. That way they could know what I do all day and how I spend most of my time. She also told me about many people that I should get connection with to experience how real work is conducted at hospitals and in the nursing career. Sylvia gave me tons of information today, and I’ve gained knowledge as a young man that I didn’t know yesterday. I am grateful for my mentors at Ideal, and I’m grateful for being abnormal and all of the experiences that come with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog