Jacqueline Perez - Biggest Personal Triumph

Jacqueline Perez
2/22/2016
The biggest personal triumph I have had to overcome in my life has been learning to deal with anxiety. I began experiencing anxiety/panic attacks during the summer of my sophomore year. Two things triggered them. First, I started a rotation as the admin intern after a successful experience through my school’s work study program. My employer was the Ideal Group. They own several types of corporations and manage all the activity in one location -- the one location where I worked.  In addition my parents separated after 12 years and the process was loud and angry.  
As a result, I started to feel like things were out of control.  I realized I needed help. I found a good counselor who explained how I could regain a sense of control in my day-to-day life. She suggested breathing exercises and reading my favorite books. I could see the positive effects immediately. Then my junior year began and my teachers, advisors, work supervisor, and family began to ask, “What are you going to be?” “Where are you going to college?” While I appreciated the questions, they didn’t help ease my anxiety. The stress and anxiety returned full force. I had stopped seeing the counselor and decided to go back. She had me start me from square one. This time, I added running to my regimine. Since then, I finished my junior year with a 3.3, worked last summer, and have been accepted into four colleges.
Surprisingly, this personal experience had a great impact on my life. I learned that it’s okay to ask for help and to be honest even if it’s not the answer others want. Considering how I felt the summer when I was sixteen years old, today I feel more prepared and confident about managing college and career readiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog