Christopher Lara, December 4, 2015


Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision Volunteer Leadership Award

                On Thursday, December 3rd, I had the honor of receiving the Volunteer Leadership award from the non-profit organization, Southwest Detroit Environmental Vision (SDEV). This award has significant value in my heart because of the recognition it gives me for the work I’ve been doing for the past five years.

                SDEV has molded my life to what it is now. The success and achievements I’ve accomplished in the recent years has been because of the leadership skills the gardens, parks, events, and institutions SDEV has allowed me to work on. When I first began, I did not expect to lead a garden with over 300 vegetable bins and over 10,000 hours of volunteer hours logged. I have managed to live, breath, and think the idea of sustainability, which helps me in all corners of life. I’ve even been able to lead my school’s environmental group and Nation Honor Society with the skills accumulated from working with SDEV.               

                I will continue to work with SDEV every summer because what they do for the community and Detroit is beyond phenomenal. I thank everyone at SDEV for presenting me with this award, and I hope to work with Sarah, Kathy, Rebecca, and Diana much more next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog