Chris Lara 4-22-14

Chris Lara 3-22-14
            On my Easter break, I was able to learn more about different work environments and levels of proficiency by working at Honeybee Market. I spent a couple of days there, and I was able to work in the kitchen with my brother, Brian, and his co-worker, Joel.

            Brian and I entered early in the morning, and began working. My brother was naturally good at getting up and going, so he was already running for his supplies. I, on the other hand, was slowly trudging behind, helping him carry some produce. I noticed this energy difference and started to boost myself. Then, I began to look around at all of my other co-workers; they were moving so fast, carrying heavy loads, and managing their own departments as if an emergency had broken out. I kept the thought of being just as energetic as them as I followed Brian back to the kitchen.

He turned on all the ovens and worked on the breakfast/lunch preparations. I was on the side packing salsa, blending produce, or shifting pallets. He was a great manager, but micro-managing was his specialty. He constantly looked back at what Joel and I were doing, correcting us if necessary. The few times we did mess up, he caught us. I liked the way he corrected us; showing us the right way, then offering tips to not do it again. I remember dropping a tray of freshly cooked mash potatoes, but instead of scolding me, he told me of the time he dropped an even larger pot of gravy on the floor. He told this story to me because he didn’t want me to feel like a failure and his story provides a sense of not being ‘the worst mistake’. The rest of the days I spent micromanaging some of the small tasks in the kitchen, and I left satisfied with the help I provided.

These small jobs and departments all connect to create the success of the market. I learned about the fast paced jobs the departments have and the rapid flow of productivity Honeybee Market has. I felt accomplished with the help I was able to offer my brother, and we both hope to work some more days together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog