Chris Lara 2-4-14

Chris Lara 2-4-14
            After my recent chemistry exam, Sylvia suggested that I find something that interests me in the subject such as a chemist or a career that requires a chemistry degree. I did some research and found one man that really caught my attention.
            Born on 1943, Mario Molina is a modern chemist, and is well known for his theory of research concerning the destruction of the ozone layer. He was very interested in science when he was young and even took over an unused bathroom in his house as a laboratory for his science experiments. In college, he took many chemical engineering classes and received a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry. Later, he went to research atmospheric changes in a college in California. Soon, he found that the Chlorofluorocarbon gases that were being release went to the atmosphere were accumulating. Knowing that these gases are harmful, he wanted to know what happened to is once it stacked upon itself. This is when he formed the hypothesis that the gases were actually destroying the ozone layer and was causing terrible climate changes in Antarctica!
            I chose this man because of three reasons. He is of Mexican descent, he researches the relationship between environmental impact and chemistry, and he cares about humanity. Since I am Mexican- American, I find this man inspiring because he completed high school with the same challenges I face. He also is very concerned about the way chemistry can have an impact on the environment. He found out that his research was true about the ozone layer. He quickly took action on spreading his findings with the rest of his team and impacted the way the world looks at the ozone layer.
            When he first began his research in California, he was upset that the research was being used for destructive purposes, like weapons, and not the benefits for humanity. I thought that this made the man who he was because he cared. If he didn’t care, we wouldn’t have discovered the problem with the ozone layer as early as we did, and he wouldn’t have kept on studying it for future reference.
            Overall, I am interested in finding out more of what I could do to improve my life with chemistry, and maybe others, too.

"Mario Molina." Facts & Biography. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog