Chris Lara 2/18/14




Chris Lara 2/18/14
This day was very productive in comparison to my usual standards. When I arrived at my desk I sent Sylvia an email of my backlog. She wrote notes for my incomplete tasks and I began immediately. I thought that my tasks were going to be difficult, but when I completed them they weren’t very hard. Maybe because I become too intimidated at times, but that’s something I’m working on.         
Intimidation stood a great threat to an event I went to last week. With Sylvia, I went to a MVP meeting for Detroit PAL. We were invited by Renee Peck, and I was grateful I was. Feeling intimidated could have ruined my night because the place was full of people! If I didn’t know how to talk to a small group or even one on one, I would have been ignored in the conversation.
Before the event started, there was a small room where everyone was conversing and having a great time. Sylvia took me to meet some people and I talked to some new people. Luckily, I was doing okay with small talk and managed through the network. Of course I could always learn new ways to keep the conversation interesting such as asking questions, noticing minor details, or just trying to relate to the other person.
When the MVPs went to get their awards, there was a young man that won a scholarship and award for his leadership in his community. He showed his development in school, sport team, and family by being a well-organized leader. I was amazed by the way the young man talked in front of a crowd of 150 people and was able to not say a single word incorrectly!
That night I set a new goal. I was going to be that next leader in the community and if not I would be the best leader I could be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog