Christopher Lara, October 2, 2015


Data Entry

Today’s task in Setech was a job that required a mindset capable of consistency and diligence-- data entry. I met Steve Kuplicki, the Senior Project Manager in Setech, who gave me a plethora of sheets to enter onto an excel spreadsheet.

                The information given to me included job locations, quantities, descriptions, manufacturers, conditions, and notes, all carefully written on a physical copy. I had to transfer the written information onto an online version that had the same data table. I practiced keeping a fluid transition between each set, as there were around 17 sets per page, and around 20 pages given to me. First, I had to familiarize myself with the handwriting of each person because not all of the sheets were written by the same person. After, I began running down the rows from left to right, trying to see if this method was the most time efficient. After feeling like I could be faster, while still keeping the same level of accuracy, I ran down a column at a time. This was easier because I was able to do all the locations, quantities, or descriptions at once. One of the main reasons it was easier was because my hands formed muscle memory of hitting keys with similar key words under each column. After the third or fourth sheet, I found that this was the best method and continued to use it to enter the data tables for the rest of my day.

                I had an enjoyable time experimenting with different typing methods and finding the best way to use my time for Ideal Setech. I look forward to working with Steve and Jesse again on Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog